It’s simple, people who have highly developed interpersonal skills are usually more successful in their personal and professional lives. That’s because they present themselves by using qualities that are more appealing to others.
So what are Interpersonal Skills?
But it’s your awareness of your interpersonal skills that helps you develop and enhance relationships. You do this by observing others reactions to what you say, how you say it, what you do and by observing how our actions make others feel.
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelo
While volumes have been written about the importance of interpersonal skills, it’s often difficult to determine just what they are, and which ones are most important.
Daniel Goleman tells us that “Emotional Intelligence” is a greater contributor to business success than IQ. In his book “Working with Emotional Intelligence, he states: “On average, close to 90 percent of success in leadership was attributable to emotional intelligence. Emotional Intelligence is defined as having the following four competencies.
- Self-Awareness: Being aware of your own needs, values and emotions
- Self-Management: Keeping your emotional responses in check, and behaving appropriately even when you experience feelings that could result in negative and destructive behaviors.
- Social Awareness: That is being in tune with other’s needs and feelings.
- Relationship Management: The ability to build relationships based on mutual respect and trust.
In addition, the following interpersonal skills are important for working effectively with others.
- Listening Skills
- Communication Skills
- Verbal Communication
- Non-Verbal Communication
- Decision Making
- Problem Solving
- Stress management
Take some time to develop your Interpersonal Skills. It can help you to improve personally and professionally.
Learn more about:
Here are our most popular DiSC Profile Tests :
- Everything DiSC Workplace (online)
- Everything DiSC Management (online)
- Everything DiSC Work of Leaders (online)